Learn more about the wonderful volunteer opportunities that exist with the Cambridge Police Department!
Police Reserve Program
Police Reserve Officer Opportunity
Applications always accepted
The Cambridge Police Department is seeking motivated individuals interested in serving their community in the area of public safety and community service. We are accepting applications for volunteer positions with our Police Reserve Unit. The primary objectives of Cambridge Police Reserve Officers are to provide a variety of support services to the Police Department and our community in a non‐sworn/non-licensed, but uniformed capacity. Our volunteers regularly perform high visibility preventative patrols of our residential and business districts, as well as our many park and recreation venues. Additional patrol duties may include taking low priority calls for service and supporting licensed officers in the performance of their duties. Reserve Officers also perform a vital role during our many city events and celebrations, often assigned traffic direction duties, foot patrols, and community policing/crime prevention assignments. There is no experience required to join. Our department provides the training needed for this position. This is a great opportunity for people interested in a career in Law Enforcement and for those who just want to serve their community.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a strong desire to serve the City of Cambridge (residency is not required)
- Must possess a valid MN drivers’ license, have a good driving record and no criminal history
- Must be in good health and able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
Candidates meeting application criteria will be asked to participate in oral interviews, which help us identify the best police reserve candidates. Unfortunately, positions are limited. Candidates selected to continue in the process must pass a thorough background check, including criminal history, predatory offender, driver license, local policing and related checks
Although this is a volunteer position, we have participation requirements and expectations in order to maintain an effective program. A candidates work and home schedule and availability must allow them to participate in the following:
- Monthly Reserve Meeting/Training Sessions on the 3rd Thursday of each month, typically from 6 pm to 9 pm; attendance at these meetings/training sessions are critical. Must also participate in a few all day training sessions on Saturdays in January-April (advanced notice will be given)
- Patrol Duties – must commit to at least 10 hours of Reserve Patrol Duty a month in addition to meetings and special events.
- Must attend most if not all of the following community events/celebrations:
- Cambridge Day Out (1st or 2nd Saturday in June)
- 4th of July Fireworks Celebration (July 4th)
- National Night Out (first Tuesday night in August)
- Downtown Customer Appreciation (2nd or 3rd Friday in September)
- Snowflake Parade (3rd Saturday in November) Mandatory Attendance.
- Must be able to assist with other civic, school and community events that come up periodically throughout the year. May be asked to assist with crime prevention and neighborhood watch programs.
All interested candidates should fill out an application located on the city’s website.
Download your completed application packet:
Please feel free to include a resume with your application; however, please note that a resume will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City application and supplemental application. Completed application materials should be sent to:
City of Cambridge Police Department
Attention: Police Reserve Coordinator
300 3rd Ave NE
Cambridge, MN 55008
If you have questions about this volunteer opportunity, please call the Cambridge Police Department at (763) 689-9567 or email Reserve Coordinator – Officer Jeremy Van Hatten at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you once again for your interest in the City of Cambridge.