Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When Do I Need a Building Permit?

A: A building or structure cannot be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a building permit has been obtained from the city. Applications for building permits are available at City Hall or on this website. Permits identify the work to be covered, the land on which the proposed work is to be done, and the use for which the proposed work is intended. Applications should be accompanied by a site plan and a scaled, detailed drawing of the proposed project. If you do not have a survey of your lot, there is a good chance that the city does. Working with a lot survey is the best way to present a site plan. The Building Department will review the application and issue a permit if the work described conforms to the Minnesota State Building Code and other pertinent laws and ordinances. Permit fees are based on the City's adopted fee schedule. Building permits become null and void if the work authorized by the permit is not begun within 180 days from the permit date, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work is commenced for a period of 180 days.

Q: Before I dig, shouldn’t I call someone for locates?

A: YES, in order to protect yourselves and your property against underground utility damage. Anyone working in Minnesota must call before excavating. This is a free service provided by Gopher State One Call ».
1 (800) 252-1166