Voting & Elections

Frequently Asked Questions about Voting:

Question: How do I file for Mayor or Councilmember?

Answer: Filing for Mayor or City Council opens on May 22, 2018 at 8:00 am. To file for an office, come to City Hall located at 300 3rd Avenue NE and complete the Affidavit of Candidacy. Filing deadline is 5:00 pm on June 5, 2018. The filing fee is $15.00.  If you have questions about filing or running for office, you can contact Lynda Woulfe at or 763-689-3211.

Question: Does Cambridge have a municipal primary?

Answer: Yes. The top two candidates for Mayor and the top four candidates for City Council will advance to the general election in November.

Question: When can I register to vote?

Answer: You can register to vote on-line at the Secretary of State's website by clicking here. You can register to vote at your polling place on Election Day. You can register in person at the Isanti County Auditor's Office located at 555 18th Avenue SW, Cambridge using the Voter Registration Form.

Question: How do I update my voter's registration information?

Answer: If you file a change of address with the post office it automatically updates for your voter registration information. You will also need to update your information if you get married, divorced, or have a change in name. You can also change your voter registration information at the Secretary of State's website by clicking here.

Voting on election day is faster and easier if all of your information is correct and updated. Update your voter registration information at least 21 days prior to the election dates of August 14 and November 6, 2018. Changes made by then will automatically be updated in the election roster books used at our polling places.

Question: I would like to vote before election day, how do I do this?

Answer: You can vote early with an absentee ballot in person through the Isanti County Auditor's Office. Their office is located in the Isanti County Government Building at 555 - 18th Ave SW, Cambridge, MN 55008. You may contact them at 763-689-1644.

Question: How do I view election results?

Answer: You can view election results on the Minnesota Secretary of State website by clicking this direct link ».

Question: How do I sign up to serve as an election judge?

Answer: Contact Lynda Woulfe at or at 763-689-3211 and inform her of your desire to serve.

An election judge must be:

  • eligible to vote in the State of Minnesota;
  • able to read, write and speak English;
  • appointed by the appointing authority (city of Cambridge); and

Individuals applying to be election judges need to declare their party affiliation, if they are affiliated with a major political party.

Election judge training is typically three hours in length and is done in July of each election year by the Isanti County Auditor's Office.